No products in the cart
Advieh Khoresh Couscous with Chicken and Veggies (Low Calorie!)
Advieh Khoresh Couscous with Chicken and Veggies
This is what happened when we had a ton of broccoli we needed to use or lose and leftover chicken (chik’n for us since I’m a vegetarian) staring at us in the fridge. A delightful and low calorie Persian and Iranian-inspired meal thanks to Advieh Khoresh, which is is loosely translated to “stew spice”. It’s very savory and floral with some nice sweetness and some tart to smack back a little atcha. This dish packs a lot of veggies and is light but very filling. Estimated 500 calories per serving.
- Prep Time: 25
- Cook Time: 20
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: dinner
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: Persian, Iranian
- 4 cooked chicken breasts (or a vegan chicken alternative like we used), cubed into bitesize pieces
- 1 cup uncooked couscous
- 3–4 carrots, chopped into smaller bitesized pieces
- 1–2 heads of broccoli (we used two because we had it), cut into tiny, bite-sized trees
- 2–3 stalks of celery, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 5 cloves of garlic, smashed then chopped
- 2–3 Tablespoons organic Advieh Khoresh, depending on how rich you want it
- 4–4.5 cups chicken or veggie stock
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- Minimal salt optional
- Steam carrots and broccoli in a large pan. As that’s cooking, put olive oil in a small pan and heat on medium high. Add garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes – cooking until it softens but doesn’t burn. Add in onions and celery and cook until onions are just translucent.
- Drain steamed carrots and broccoli of all liquid, then place back on stove on medium low and add onion, celery, garlic and olive oil. Add in 2 cups broth, cooked chicken and 2 Tablespoons of Advieh Khoresh. Mix well and cover to lightly simmer, coming back to stir occasionally. Add another half cup of stock if needed.
- While that simmers, add 1 1/2 cup veggie broth (depending on type of couscous you use, the liquid/couscous ratio might be greater or less, check the instructions), 1 Tablespoon Advieh Khoresh and an optional dash of salt to a pan that you had a tight lid for. Bring water to a boil then add in couscous and mix well immediately. Cover and then remove from heat immediately and let sit for 5 minutes, undisturbed.
- After 5 minutes, open lid and fluff the couscous well with a fork. Serve on a plate as the base layer, then top with chicken and veggie mix. Optional: I like to warm a half cup of broth in the microwave or stove and pour a little over the plate because sometimes the couscous can be a little dry. Serve and enjoy!
My loose math clocks this in around 500 calories per serving (1/4 of dish), and a serving is a really good size meal.