No products in the cart
Arroz Con Leche y Chai! A Chai Rice Comfort Pudding
Arroz Con Leche y Chai! A Mexican Rice Pudding with an Indian Chai Twist
The perfect comfort food when it’s cold and moody outside. This Mexican arroz con leche with an Indian chai masala twist will bring comforting cinnamon and chai masala flavors, smells and warmth to your home.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 40
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 6-8 servings 1x
- Category: dessert
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 8 cups water
- 1 cup long-grain white rice, rinsed
- 3 Cassia cinnamon sticks (+2 more for a cute garnish if you wish)
- 1–1.5 Tablespoons Cassia cinnamon powder
- 2 teaspoons Chai Masala
- One 12-ounce can of evaporated milk
- One 14-ounce can of sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup whole milk
- Raisins (optional, golden raisins work well)
- Tiniest pinch of salt
- Put cool water, rinsed rice and 3 cinnamon sticks in a deep sauce pan and heat on medium-high, stirring occasionally until it boils.
- Once boiling, stir often for about 16 minutes or until the rice is very tender – overcooked really.
- Strain water out and discard cinnamon sticks.
- Return rice to sauce pan and add evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk and whole milk. Cook over medium-high heat until boiling (constantly stirring) then cook for another 15-20 minutes, constantly stirring, until you reach the pudding consistency you’re looking for (some like it thicker than others, do what feels good).
- Mix in chai masala, pinch of salt, optional raisins and 1-1.5 Tablespoons of Cassia cinnamon to taste.
- Pour in serving bowl, sprinkle some extra cinnamon on top and add one or two cinnamon sticks as a garnish.