No products in the cart
The Best Vegan Chicken & Pearl Couscous Soup
This ultra-satisfying meal is for the vegetarians and vegans out there who sometimes crave chicken soup (sans the meat). It has layers of flavor and a satisfying texture to boot. It’s the kind of soup you want when you’re really hungry. Of course you can use the meat substitute of your choice (or just add in beans or more veggies), but we should say we really love the Skinny Butcher’s Crazy Crispy Vegan Chicken Breasts for this, made with pea protein. We picked up a box at Costco, and we’ve found it to be a great frozen go-to for dishes like these. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 45
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 4-6 servings 1x
- Category: soup
- Cuisine: vegetarian
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 4 Skinny Butcher’s Crazy Crispy Vegan Chicken Breasts, or at least 2 cups of your favorite vegetarian chicken/meat substitute
- 3–4 large handfuls of spinach
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1.5 cups dry pearl couscous
- 1 cup nutritional yeast
- 3 Tablespoons Pinch’s organic poultry seasoning, Finger Lickin’ Chicken
- 2.5 Tablespoons Pinch Organic Onion Soup/Dip Mix
- Crushed red pepper chili flakes to taste
- Salt and fresh ground organic black pepper to taste
- Freshly dried parsley to taste
- Olive Oil
- Heat oven to 400. Bake vegan chicken according to instructions.
- While chicken is baking: In a large soup pot, heat a few Tablespoons of oil in a pan, add carrots, celery, onion, 2.5 Tablespoons onion soup mix, 1 Tablespoon Finger Lickin’ Chicken and 1 teaspoon salt. Cook on medium heat for about 8 minutes until veggies are mostly cooked. Stir and add a little water as needed.
- Add in garlic and a little more oil, stir and cook for about another 4 minutes, being careful not to burn the garlic.
- Pour the vegetable broth on top, and bring it to a boil. Add in half of the nutritional yeast (1/2 cup) and the dry couscous. Boil for 10 mins, stirring as needed.
- While that’s boiling, take cooked chicken out of the oven and cube. Toss in a hot pain with olive oil and 1 Teaspoon Finger Lickin’ Chicken. Cook/stir on medium heat until crispy, about 6-9 minutes. Turn off the heat and set the veggie “chicken” aside.
- When couscous is done cooking for 10 minutes, reduce the heat to a simmer. Add 1 cup water, spinach, 1 Tablespoon Finger Lickin’ Chicken, the rest of the nutritional yeast (1/2 cup) and chili flakes (as much as you want for a little heat. I did about a Tablespoon). Simmer for at least 15 more minutes, stirring occasionally and adding more water if needed.
- Pour soup in serving bowls. Add “chicken” right before serving and top with parsley and a few sprinkles of nutritional yeast and/or chili flakes if you wish.
When storing leftovers in the fridge, I like to keep the vegan “chicken” separate from the soup. Then I heat it up separately and toss it in right before we eat it again.