- 1 can of lower sodium pinto beans, rinsed thoroughly removing all canning juices
- 1/2 cup finely diced yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon of avocado oil (any neutral oil will do)
- ¾ tablespoon organic Humboldt Sazón
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup low sodium chicken stock, vegetable stock or even water
- Heat oil in saucepan over medium-low heat. Add onions and cook until edges barely begin to brown.
- Add sazón and stir continuously for 30 seconds to bloom the spices.
- Add beans and stock (or water), cover, and stir every two minutes or less until beans are hot and begin to break down (usually about 10-15 minutes).
- Add salt and pepper to taste (likely need very little, if any). For a rustic dish, mash with a spoon. For a smoother dish, place in a food processor and pulse until smooth.
- Category: Beans
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: Caribbean