Make tikka masala at home with our our Tikka Masala mix to simplify the process while still tasting authentic and delicious!
- 2 pounds boneless chicken breasts or thighs (cut into 2–3 inch pieces)
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tbsp pinch spice market tikka masala spice mix (a little more is fine)
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 14 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro (optional garnish)
- 2–3 tbsp Pinch Spice Market Tikka Masala Spice Mix
- 5 tbsp butter
- Mix the yogurt, chicken and tikka spice in a bowl and let sit in the fridge. You can do this overnight but if you’re doing it day-of, give it at least 20 minutes to marinate.
- Heat a pan on medium high heat and add 1 tablespoon of butter or cooking oil to the pan. Sautee marinated chicken pieces until browned. Chicken should be almost cooked through. Takes about 5 minutes depending on the size of the pieces.
- Set chicken aside and return the pan to medium heat
- Melt butter in pan in the same pan and add the chopped onion.
- Cook onions until soft but not browned.
- Add tomato paste and stir into onions. Let this cook for a minute or two then add the tikka spice and sautee for an additional minute until the spices are fragrant.
- Add the crushed tomatoes and reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Add the chicken to the sauce and continue to simmer for 10-15 minutes. You may need to reduce the heat to achieve a slow simmer.
- Reduce heat to low and add the cream, stirring to incorporate and simmer for an additional 5 minutes
- Serve with a garnish of chopped cilantro and enjoy.
Congratulations, you are awesome and have just made restaurant-style tikka masala from scratch!
- Cuisine: Indian