No products in the cart
Crispy Seitan Chicken Wings
Seitan Chicken Wings
This is my go to seitan recipe and it works particularly well for “chicken” type meat substitutes. In this case, it works great for wings. We use an Instant Pot for the seitan creation, then deep fry it in a Dutch oven, however these also work well on the grill.
This does require a few special ingredients like vital wheat gluten and tools including a blender/food processor and a stand mixer. We use an Instapot in this recipe, but you can also use a steamer on your stovetop.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Marinade Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Total Time: 2 hours 5 minutes
- Yield: 2-4 servings 1x
- Category: Appetizers
- Method: Deep Fried
- Cuisine: American
For the Seitan:
- 1 can chickpeas (garbanzo beans) with liquid
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons miso paste, tahini, nutritional yeast, or peanut butter
- 2 Tablespoons Finger Lickin’ Chicken
- 1 Tablespoon molassas
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 3/4 cups of vital wheat gluten
- 2 cups of water for steaming
For the Marinade:
- 2 Tablespoon Spice Melange spice mix
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
For the Wings
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 Tablespoon Spice Melange
- 2–4 cups cooking oil for deep frying
- Your favorite wing sauce, see notes for Pinch Spice Market wing sauce recipes.
Make the Seitan in the Instant Pot
- Combine all ingredients, except the vital wheat gluten, in a blender or food processor.
- Blend until smooth. Make sure there are no bits of chickpea left, this will take several minutes.
- In your stand mixer bowl, combine the wet ingredients with the vital wheat gluten. Using the dough hook, mix on medium low for 5-8 minutes. The dough will combine and be a fairly wet ball, but should not be too sticky. It should be pretty easy to handle at this point.
- Wrap the dough ball in foil and place on a steamer basket.
- Add 2 cups of water to the Instapot or pot you are steaming the seitan in.
- Pressure cook on high for 90 minutes or steam on a stove top for 90 minutes.
- Remove the seitan from the foil and let cool until you can comfortably touch it
- Shred the seitan into wing like pieces.(we like to keep them pretty small).
Marinate the Wings
- In a medium bowl mix water, oil and Spice Melange.
- Add half of your seitan shreds (save the other half for your another recipe or double this one)
- Marinate for at least 30 minutes (this can be refrigerated and kept for 2-3 days before cooking)
Make the Wings
- Add cooking oil to a Dutch oven or other pan suitable for deep frying. Heat on high.
- In a medium bowl mix together flour, cornstarch and spice melange. Add the marinated seitan shreds to the flour mixture and coat each piece completely.
- When the oil reaches 350 degrees Fahrenheit add the seitan shreds, make sure to not over crowd the fryer. You may need to cook these in several batches.
- Cook for about 5 minutes or until dark brown and crisp.
- Transfer to a drip pan or paper towels to remove excess oil.
- Sauce with your favorite wings sauce, see notes for some Pinch Spice Market wings sauces.
Here are some of our favorite wing recipes and sauces: