No products in the cart
This potato salad is in my rotation of dishes to bring to parties and cook outs. It can be made vegan, is naturally gluten free, and is a fresh departure from your aunt’s recipe! Even non-potato salad fans will find something to like! It’s sweet, spicy, herbal, and has the crunch of fresh carrots. Hopefully, you will be able to share this with your friends and family this summer! Otherwise, you can just leave it in the fridge and snack on it periodically, as I do. No judgements, here!
- 1 pound white potatoes, peeled or unpeeled, cut in 1-inch pieces
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup carrots, shredded
- 1/4 cup green onion or scallion, chopped
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise – I used a vegan mayo, but you can use your preferred mayonnaise
- 1 Tablespoon Garam Masala
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 Tablespoons sweet chili sauce (Mae Ploy)
- In a large pot, combine cubed potatoes and cold salted water until about 1 inch higher than the potatoes. On High, bring to a boil, then turn down to medium and cook for 8-10 minutes until fork tender. Drain potatoes and set aside.
- While the potatoes are boiling, in a large bowl, whisk together olive oil, lime juice, salt and pepper until emulsified. This should take about 30 seconds. Adding this dressing helps the porous potatoes not suck up as much mayonnaise and adds a fresh tartness to the potato salad.
- Transfer the cooked potatoes from the pot to the large bowl and toss gently to coat. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until cool.
- In a small bowl, mix together mayonnaise, Garam Masala, turmeric, and then add salt to taste. Stir until well combined and add to the potatoes.
- Gently toss the potatoes in the mayo mixture until all pieces are covered. You should have a creamy mixture with fluffy chunks of potatoes throughout. Transfer to your serving container,
- Just before serving, add the sweet chili sauce and give the potato salad a couple of stirs so you have this marbled thread of sweet and spicy through the salad.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 30
- Category: BBQ, Cookouts
- Method: Boiling, Chilling
- Cuisine: American