Make amazing fried vegetarian nuggets that are as good, or even better than actual chicken nuggets.
- 1 package firm tofu
- 3–4 tbsp Finger Lickin’ Chicken poultry seasoning
- 1 cup veggie stock or broth
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 eggs (or vegan egg substitute, if you use that we also recommended adding a dash of our kala namak)
- 1 cup Panko bread crumbs (optional)
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- 2 cups buttermilk (you can substitute unsweetened nut or oat milk)
- Mix 2 tbsp. of Finger Lickin’ Chicken with the veggie stock
- Drain the tofu and add the Finger Lickin’ veggie stock
- Let this marinate for 30 minutes
- Press the tofu to remove as much liquid as possible
- Place the tofu in a plastic bag and put it in the freezer for 2 hours
- Remove the tofu from the freezer and let it thaw
- Press as much liquid out of the tofu as possible, I use my hands and paper towel
- Return the tofu to the bag and freeze again for at least 2 hours
- Now let the tofu thaw again and press out all the liquid. The tofu should now resemble a sponge.
- Add oil to pan suitable for frying. I use a dutch oven. A cast iron pan works great as well. Heat over medium high heat. The oil should reach about 375 degrees before frying
- Now break up the tofu into nugget size pieces. I found smaller is better in this case.
- Let’s make some batter….whisk the eggs and buttermilk in a bowl
- Mix the flour, the rest of the Finger Lickin’ Chicken and the panko together in a separate bowl
- Now we get our hands messy. Dip a piece of tofu an coat in the egg mixture, then dunk in the flour mixture to coat. You can put this down on a plate and do 8-10 pieces at a time.
- Add the tofu to fryer and cook until golden brown, flipping once during cooking. Should be 3-5 minutes, but you really just want to look for color here.
- Remove from oil and drain. I put the nuggets on a cooling rack over a baking sheet.
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce or if you’re vegetarian (not vegan because it has buttermilk in it) make your own ranch dressing with our Pinch Valley Ranch.
- Category: tofu
- Cuisine: vegetarian