No products in the cart
Sometimes you just want a big bowl of chicken noodle soup, extra noodles and chicken – even when you’re a vegetarian. Check out this comforting, hearty, garlic-drenched and protein-packed soup for vegetarians. Pair with some warm bread and soak up the goodness.
It can easily be made vegan (drop the egg noodles) or with real chicken too, or just drop the fake chicken all together and double the beans.
- 4–5 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 2 cups carrots, chopped
- 2 cups onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup green onions (about 2–3 stalks), chopped – white and pale-green parts only
- 2–3.5 cups chick’n – We used Sweet Earth Mindful Chik’n Strips but you can use any chicken substitute or use real chicken. Go for 2 cups if you want it more of a brothy soup consistency, or 3.5 cups if you want it more chunky style (we did chunky style)
- 2–3 cloves fresh garlic, chopped
- 3 teaspoons Buffy Slayer Helper (a garlicky organic spice blend)
- 3 teaspoons Finger Lick’n Chicken organic poultry seasoning, separated
- ½ Tablespoon French Gray salt
- 15.5 ounce can of cannellini white beans, drained of liquid
- 6 ounces of dry noodles of choice (about half a bag of most pastas). Small noodles work well. We used No Yolks Egg Pasta but you can use anything. If you happen to be cooking for a vegan, use a vegan pasta with no eggs.
- Warm bread as a side
- Add 2-3 Tablespoons olive oil in a large pot on medium low heat. Add chik’n (or real chicken) and stir in 1 teaspoon Finger Lick’n Chicken and 2 teaspoons Buffy Slayer Helper. Cook chik’n thoroughly until browned, around 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Take chick’n out of the pot, set aside (do not refrigerate)
- Add 2 more Tablespoons of olive oil to the pot and add carrots, onion and celery. Sauté for 6 minutes on medium heat.
- Add garlic and sprinkle in the remaining 2 teaspoons of Finger Lick’n Chicken and 1 teaspoon of Buffy Slayer Helper (leave a little Buffy behind to sprinkle on top of each bowl at the end). Cook for another 6-7 minutes, until all vegetables are softer but still have a little firmness to them. Add a Tablespoon or two of water if vegetables start to brown.
- Toss in your cooked chick’n and the cannellini beans. Cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add 5-7 cups of water. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to medium low, and simmer for at least 25 minutes, stirring occasionally and adding more water as needed.
- Mix in pasta, add salt and bring to boil. You may need to add more water if the soup gets too thick – add by the half cup until you get a consistency you like. Cook according to soup cooking directions on pasta or until noodles are slightly tender but still firm.
- 5 minutes before pasta is done, warm bread in the oven.
- Pour soup into bowls, add a dash of Buffy Slayer Helper to each bowl and top with a few chopped green onions, and salt and pepper just a tad to taste. Serve with warm bread.
- Prep Time: 30
- Cook Time: 70
- Category: soup
- Cuisine: American