No products in the cart
Meet my Mom’s apple pie recipe, something she passed down to us and her grandkids. Mom’s gone now, but we think of her every time we make this tasty pie.
We included a pie dough recipe, but you can use a store-bought dough/crust to save time. Mom won’t be mad at you, we promise.
- 4 pounds apples or a little more, sliced. Granny Smiths are the usual go-to for pie – and for good reason. Honey Crisp can also be great, and if you want to get a little outside the norm, try Northern Spy, Bramley’s Seedling (a favorite of Brits), or Golden or Roxbury Russet. Basically, you want something that is firm and crispy and will hold up in the oven, not the softer varieties.
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Bucktown Apple Pie Spice
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 Tablespoon flour
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar (or lemon juice)
- 2 Teaspoons cornstarch
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 6 Tablespoons chilled butter (cubed)
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 1/2 Teaspoon salt
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 cup very cold water
- In a medium saucepan melt butter over medium heat and add apples. Add sugar and salt and stir to combine. Add the Apple Pie Spice and reduce heat to low. Cook until the apples are soft about 5 minutes.
- Add the flour and cornstarch and continue to cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove the pan from heat and stir in vinegar or lemon juice. Spoon filling into a bowl and set aside to cool.
- Pulse the flour, butter, shortening, and salt in a food processor until crumbly and combined.
- Whisk together egg yolk and water and then pulse into the flour mixture.
- Combine the dough on a floured surface and form a dough ball, making sure to completely combine the dough. Cut the dough ball in half and cover both portions in plastic wrap. Refrigerate both halves for at least 1 hour.
Make the Pie:
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and place a baking sheet on the middle rack.
- Roll out half of the pie dough to a 12-inch diameter and place in a greased 9-inch pie pan. Refrigerate immediately.
- Roll out the rest of the dough to a 10-inch diameter.
- When the filling is cool, spoon it into the dough-lined pie pan.
- Place the remaining dough on top. Close the pie with either a fork or by pinching with fingers. Cut four slits in the pie and place it on the baking sheet in the oven.
- Bake for 20 minutes, then reduce the heat to 375 degrees and cook for an additional 30-40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Prep Time: 40
- Cook Time: 50-60 mins
- Category: desserts
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: pie