Chicken wings are up there at the top of my list of food favorites. I grew up eating them in Western New York state, I like them fried,baked, smoked and grilled. I really like grilled wings because you can dry rub them to get all kinds of spice flavor and still get the crispy texture like you get from fried wings. With this recipe we feature our “Wings of Doom” spice blend, a version of our Honey Chipotle BBQ rub, that adds the heat of ghost peppers into the mix. Feel free to use either for this recipe, but I like it hot and the Wings of Doom is my preference. We also used our gas grill for this recipe, but a charcoal grill works great for this.
- 1 pound of chicken wings
- 3 tablespoons wings of doom spice mix
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 3/4 cup bbq sauce
- A pastry or basting brush
- At least 6 hours before cooking mix the chicken wings, cooking oil and 2 tbs. of wings of doom together. You want to fully coat wings, and can add a little more or less of the spice to make sure they are coated.
- Mix 1 tbs of wings of doom into the bbq sauce and set aside
- Set up your grill for direct cooking. On a gas grill we heat the grill on high for 10 minutes and then reduce the heat on all burners to medium low heat.
- Set the wings on the grill, cooking with the grill lid open. Cook about 5 minutes per side and turn the wings.
- After 25 minutes brush the bbq sauce on the wings and cover the grill with the lid.
- Flip the wings after 3 minutes and brush the other side
- Continue do the this 2 to 3 times per side
- Remove from grill and serve with your favorite condiments, we love to serve this with our Pinch Valley Ranch Dressing.