No products in the cart
Honey Chipotle BBQ Seitan Ribz (or sub with Carolina BBQ or Memphis Rib Rub)
Honey Chipotle BBQ Seitan Ribz
These are a treat if you’re trying to eat less meat. Yes, I know that rhymes. This particular recipe includes granulated honey, so if you’re looking for a vegan option, you can substitute Carolina BBQ On My Mind or Memphis Rib Rub.
- Prep Time: 30
- Cook Time: 35
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: vegetarian
- Cuisine: BBQ
- 10 oz can of jackfruit, young green, drained and shredded
- 1 cup vital wheat gluten
- 2 Tablespoons of smoked paprika powder
- 2 Tablespoons of Honey Chipotle BBQ Seasoning
- 2 teaspoons of onion powder
- 1 cup water
- 2 Tablespoons tahini (you can use other nut butters, and it works just as well. I happened to use some natural peanut butter, but you can use whatever you have on hand.)
- 1 Tablespoons soy sauce (I use Bragg’s liquid aminos. No particular reason, other than it was cheaper at the market)
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke (OK, OK… I used a whole tablespoon. I like ’em smoky)
- 1 cup barbecue sauce (Any kind will do, but I’m partial to Kansas City Style)
- Preheat over to 350
- Spray an 8×8 inch baking dish with non-stick spray or lightly brush with oil and set aside.
- In a non-stick pan, cook the jackfruit over medium heat in 1/4 c water for about 10 minutes, mashing up the jackfruit as it cooks, and add 1 Tbs of the Honey Chipotle BBQ seasoning in the last couple minutes of cooking and stir to coat.
- Mix the vital wheat gluten, paprika, onion powder together in a medium bowl
- Mix the rest of the water (3/4 c,) tahini, soy sauce, and liquid smoke together in a separate bowl and stir in the jackfruit mixture
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and knead lightly in the bowl. Usually, you have to knead seitan for at least 10 minutes, but in this case, these ribs come together after kneading for only 15-60 seconds.
- Press the dough into the greased baking dish and spread it to fill the bottom of the pan and sprinkle remaining Honey Chipotle Barbecue seasoning (1 Tbs) on top. Score the dough with a sharp knife down the middle, then turn the pan and cut into 8 long strips. That will make 16 strips in full.
- Bake for 25 minutes, then top with half of the barbecue sauce. Carefully flip the ribs to coat the other side and place back in the oven for 10-20 minutes, being careful to watch for the sauce getting too caramelized.
- Remove from the oven and let rest for 5 or so minutes, then cut along score lines and serve with more Barbecue sauce, if you’re into that sort of thing.