No products in the cart
Simple Instant Pot Beef Birria (Birria de Res)
We created this recipe to simplify the process of making Birria de Res, or Beef Birria. We use an Instant Pot to speed things up, however you can also make this in a crock pot or on the stove, it will just take longer to cook. We also use our Birria Taco Seasoning to simplify the ingredients you need and the time it takes to prep the dish.
- Prep Time: 30
- Cook Time: 45
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: 6-8 servings 1x
- Category: Tacos
- Method: instapot
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 4–5 lbs. of beef (brisket, chuck, cheek), cut into 3-4 inch chunks
- 1 cup of Pinch Spice Market’s Birria Taco Seasoning
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2–3 cups beef stock
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 2–3 Tablespoons cooking oil
- salt to taste
Birria Queso Tacos
- 10–20 corn tortillas
- Oaxaca cheese, shredded
- fresh cilantro, chopped
- onion, fine diced
- Add cooking oil to your Instant Pot bowl and use the sauté mode to sauté the onion until soft
- Add the beef and brown on each side
- Add tomato paste and stir
- Add Birria Taco seasoning and stir to incorporate into the onion and beef
- Add enough beef stock to cover all of the ingredients.
- Set your Instant Pot to high pressure and cook for 40 minutes, then allow the pressure to naturally release when finished. Taste and add salt to taste.
- You can serve this as a stew over or rice, or better yet make birria queso tacos
Birria Queso Tacos
- Separate the beef from the braising liquid (consommé) and set the liquid aside
- Shred the beef
- Heat a skillet to medium low and spray with a little cooking oil
- Dip a tortilla into the consommé and place onto the skillet, add a few shreds of cheese and some of the shredded beef.
- Fold the taco over and flip, cook and continue to flip until the cheese is melted and the tortilla is crispy
- Serve with fresh cilantro, onion, and a cup of the consommé for dipping.