Jamaican Jerk Tofu
Our Jerk seasoning has always been a customer favorite and a personal favorite in my kitchen. It has the perfect combination of sweet and heat that entaces you to have just one more bite.
In this quick recipe we make a man friend Jamaican jerk tofu that is tender on the inside and crunchy on the outside. Tofu marinates rathar quickly so the lead time and prep time is pretty minimal and this dish is great for a quick weeknight meal with your family.
The jerk seasoning is a little spicy so this isn’t ideal for people that don’t tolerate heat, but it isn’t overly hot and should appeal to most diners.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 6
- Total Time: 30
- Yield: 3-4 portions 1x
- Category: vegetarian
- Cuisine: caribbean
- 1 package firm or extra firm tofu
- 2 tbs Jamaican Jerk seasoning
- 2 tbs soy sauce
- 1 tbs sesame oil (optional)
- 2 tbs corn starch
- 1/4 cup oil for frying (in this case we used olive, but canola is great here)
- Drain and press the tofu. I use a tofu press and push out as much liquid as I can with out damaging the tofu. I heavy pan or book on top of the tofu works as well. Pressing the liquid out will give you a better texture on the final product but you need to be careful not to over do it.
- Slice the tofu into 1 inch by 1 inch rectangular cubes. You can cut them into any shape you like. I prefer these rectangles as they are easy to turn in the pan.
- Coat the tofu in the jerk seasoning
- add soy sauce and sesame oil and allow to sit or at least 15 minutes. I usually prep other items for the meal at this point and let it sit for 30 minutes.
- Coat the tofu on the corn starch
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium high heat. You want about a 1/8th to a 1/4 inch of oil in the pan
- Add the tofu and pan fry, turning after a minute or two until all sides are golden brown and delicious tofu sizzling in a cast iron pan
- Remove from oil and transfer to paper towels or rack to drain excess oil
- Serve with your favorite sides and enjoy
Keywords: tofu recipes, jamaican jerk, jamaican jerk tofu, vegetarian jamaican jerk