Watching calories but hungry and want tacos? This dish is super simple and VERY low calorie. We’re talking 500 calories for SIX tacos. AND you can have cheese. And they taste amazing thanks to our “Bright Star” spice mix.
Here’s how the magic happens. (Yes, we use a veggie protein instead of beef, but with our spice mix you won’t miss the meat. This has received RAVING reviews from veggies AND meat-eaters alike, we promise.)
- 12 taco shells La Tiara taco shells (low calorie brand we used and loved)
- 2 Tablespoons Bright Star seasoning
- 1 cup dry TVP (textured vegetable protein)
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese (we used Monterey Jack) ((small sprinkling on each taco if you’re watching calories))
- 1 cup guacamole ((about 4 tablespoons per 6 tacos to stay in 500 calorie zone))
- 1 cup salsa ((about 3 tablespoons per 6 tacos))
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1/2 bell pepper diced
- 1 1/3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Add water & The Bright Star seasoning to a pot and bring to a boil.
- Add in TVP, reduce heat to a low simmer and cover. Let simmer until most of the liquid is absorbed (about 20 minutes). Stir occasionally.
- Heat up a frying pan with a teaspoon of olive oil, add peppers and onions. Sauté until soft.
- Add TVP, continue to sauté for 5 mins.
- Heat tacos in oven on a cookie sheet at 200 degrees for 5 mins.
- Serve with guac, salsa and shredded cheese.
- Category: tacos
- Cuisine: Mexican American