Watching calories but hungry and want tacos? Don’t we all?! This dish is super simple and VERY low calorie. We’re talking 500 calories for SIX tacos. AND you can have cheese. For real.
They taste amazing thanks to our “Bright Star” spice mix.
Here’s how the magic happens. (Yes, we use a veggie protein, but with our spice mix, you won’t miss the meat. This has received RAVING reviews from veggies AND meat-eaters alike, we promise.)
Low Calorie Vegetarian Tacos
You won't believe these are low calorie. These are very satisfying, yummy tacos perfect for days when you need a low calorie dinner. We're talking 500 calories for SIX tacos.
- 12 taco shells La Tiara taco shells (low calorie brand we used and loved)
- 1-2 tablespoons Bright Star seasoning
- 1 cup dry TVP (textured vegetable protein)
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese (we used Monterey Jack) (small sprinkling on each taco if you're watching calories)
- 1 cup guacamole (about 4 tablespoons per 6 tacos to stay in 500 calorie zone)
- 1 cup salsa (about 3 tablespoons per 6 tacos)
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1/2 bell pepper diced
- 1 1/3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
Add water & The Bright Star seasoning to a pot and bring to a boil.
Add in TVP, reduce heat to a low simmer and cover. Let simmer until most of the liquid is absorbed (about 20 minutes). Stir occasionally.
Heat up a frying pan with a teaspoon of olive oil, add peppers and onions. Sauté until soft.
Add TVP, continue to sauté for 5 mins.
Heat tacos in oven on a cookie sheet at 200 degrees for 5 mins.
Serve with guac, salsa and shredded cheese.