That’s some hot stuff, Maynard! These little chik’n sliders can be vegan, vegetarian, or just regular ol’ chicken. The spicy sweet oil makes for a lip-burning good time!
Ingredients for Patties
- 16 ounces plant-based chik’n grind – If not vegetarian or vegan, you can also use ground chicken or ground turkey.
- 3 Tablespoons garbanzo bean (chickpea) flour – You can replace the garbanzo bean flour and water with one egg.
- 3 Tablespoons water
- 2 Tablespoons + 1 teaspoon Wings of Doom Spice Blend
- 1 teaspoon Buffy’s Slayer Helper Spice Blend
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
Ingredients For Dredge
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup plant-based milk
- 1/2 cup neutral oil – Peanut, canola, or grapeseed oil have a good high smoke point for frying
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar – coconut sugar works well, too.
Vegan Remoulade Not featured in the picture, but highly recommended. Just mix it all together and spread it or dip it!
- 3 Tablespoons vegan mayo
- 1 Tablespoon coarse dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon Blackened Seasoning
- 1 Tablespoon sweet relish
- In a small bowl, mix together garbanzo bean flour and water until well combined. Set aside.
- Mix the grounds, 1 teaspoon Wings of Doom, Buffy’s Slayer Helper, salt, and pepper together until well combined. Add the garbanzo bean and water mixture and mix to combine.
- In three separate shallow dishes, lay out flour, plant based milk, and panko bread crumbs.
- Create 8 individual patties of the chik’n mixture and set aside.
- For each patty, cover in flour, then milk, flour, and then panko crumbs. Repeat for each of the 8 patties until each one is coated.
- Heat up oil in a 10-inch cast iron or non-stick skillet on medium heat. The temp should be around 350, but you can tell oil is ready if you drop a pinch of flour in it and it starts sizzling.
- Once oil is hot, add 4 of the patties one at a time. Be careful to not overcrowd the pan as this can bring down the temperature of the oil. Repeat for the next 4 patties. Drain patties on a paper towel or a wire rack.
- In a heat safe bowl, add 2 Tablespoons of Wings of Doom spice and 2 Tablespoons brown sugar. Add 4 Tablespoons (or so) of the hot oil to the spice and sugar mixture. Mix to combine. Hot Oil disclaimer: I shouldn’t have to add “carefully” but I will say “carefully” here for potentially legal reasons.
- Brush the spiced oil mixture on the patties, and serve on sliced rolls, garnish with a pickle and the optional vegan remoulade sauce to cool it down.