This biscuits and gravy is a one pan and simple brunch or dinner. It can be made vegetarian or vegan. This is also a handy recipe if you don’t have sausage on hand. Grating the butter makes the most light and fluffy pillowy drop biscuits I’ve ever had in my life. They are truly my new favorite to top gravy, leftover chili, chicken and dumplings with. I hope you enjoy!
Ingredients for the Gravy:
- 2 Tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 cups frozen veggie grounds or 1 pound meat of your choice
- 1 Tablespoon Friends and Family Thanksgiving/Holiday Spice Blend
- 3 cups milk, dairy or unsweetened non-dairy
- Salt and pepper
For the Drop Biscuits:
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup ice-cold butter, grated
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk, dairy or unsweetened non-dairy
- 1 Tablespoon of Pinch’s Buffy’s Slayer Helper
- 1/4 cup shredded cheese – optional, any cheese will do
- Preheat over to 350 degrees
- Melt 1 Tablespoon coconut oil in a medium size oven proof skillet with high sides. I used a 9′ cast iron skillet.
- Add veggie grounds and Friends and Family Blend. Saute on medium heat until browned.
- Add remaining coconut oil, let it melt, then add the 2 Tablespoons flour. Stir until the flour and grounds are combined.
- Turn heat down to medium low and pour in milk 1/2 cups at a time, stirring constantly until gravy is well combined. Salt and pepper to taste and remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Add grated cold butter and use a fork or pastry cutter to cut the butter into the flour. Mixture should look like coarse meal.
- Add milk and mix until a batter like consistency. If the mixture is too dry, add more milk. Add cheese if desired.
- Using 2 spoons, drop 1/4 cup dollops of batter onto the top of the gravy. I like to start in the middle and make a sort of flour pattern. if the dough sinks, don’t worry! It’s gonna work out fine. (The mantra for 2020.)
- Place in preheated oven at 350 for 25 minutes. Biscuits are done when golden on top. Use a spoon to separate the biscuits to check if they are done all the way through. If they are not, place back in the oven 5 min at a time until done.
- Category: comfort food
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: one pot