This quick side dish is a healthy addition to any meal, especially in the hot days of summer. The longer this sits in the fridge, the better it gets. If you have time to let it chill for an hour or the next day, the better. However, it is still a great easy dish to eat right away! Pictured with Megan Collin’s Easy Lamb Kofta Kabobs.
- 1 cup pearled barley, uncooked
- 3 cups water
- 1/3 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped small
- 1 teaspoon of Pinch’s Veggie Sprinkle
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice, fresh or reconstituted (about the juice from half of a lemon)
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place water and barley in a medium saucepan with a generous pinch of salt and bring to a boil, then set temperature to low and simmer for 25 minutes. If you have a rice cooker, I highly recommend using it to cook barley to perfection.
- Once barley has a firm but chewy texture, place in a strainer and rinse under cool water until no longer sticky to the touch.
- Combine the barley with the rest of the ingredients until the mixture is consistent.
- Serve cold as a side dish, on top of spring mix, or eat it straight from the bowl.
- Category: salads
- Cuisine: Mediterranean